Friday, November 27, 2009

Big Splash!

Uncle Toby's, together with Royal Life Saving Society Australia, will be holding a national fundraising event on Sunday the 6th December to raise funds and awareness for child drownings, called the Big Splash Swimathon.

Belgravia Leisure Centre, which my kids are members of, asked me this morning to give a little speech in support of this worthy cause.

Now, for those of you who know me, I am a reserved person. I don't "talk" for the sake of talking, but if I have something to say, then I will. I do not like being the centre of attention.

I ummed and ahhed however, and then agreed...

So, at 7pm tonight, Josh was with me while I shook my way (literally; I couldn't hold the paper. A lovely lady ended up holding the sheets for me!) through the first speech Ive had to give publicly (my mum's funeral aside) since high school. It certainly was way out of my comfort zone.

But you know what? If that meant no more child drownings, then I would do it every day. (And surely in a couple of years I would no longer shake?? :-) )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE! Congratulations xx

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you Wendy - thank you for your contribution to our community. Almost 4 years ago now I watched my almost 2yr old son who was playing in our yard drag a plastic slippery dip to our pool gate, climb the slide, pull up the safety magna latch, wrench the gate open, hold the gate open whilst climbing down the stairs, walk through the gate and proceed towards the pool steps. He didn't know I was watching - I couldn't bear to watch another second - I yelled at him and raced to him immediately removing him from the pool area. I would never have thought he was capable of it had I not seen it with my own eyes. Not a day goes by that I don't wonder how our lives could have changed forever if I hadn't been watching. I now tell everyone with a pool - Key-lock your gates and get a bike chain too so you can see at a glance that the gate is secure at all times.

Anonymous said...

hi, i am so sorry for your beautiful baby. My daughter Giuli has CP from a birth injury-severely affected. She's 2 1/2. I know how you feel.
vanessa
vv5059@hotmail.com

 
Copyright 2009 Joshua