Monday, August 31, 2009

Settling In

First off, I wanted to talk a little about this blog. It has been mentioned that this blog should be only about Josh...

When something like this (what happened to Josh) occurs, it doesn't just affect that person. It affects everyone to some degree. I try to write about everyday stuff so that you can see how lives change or what is affected. It isn't only about Josh, because I have 4 other children, who play a big part in Joshy's life, and mine too. It isn't meant to be a sob story, or a "please pity me" page. I'm simply trying to share as much of the whole picture as possible, so you can understand.

Life is slowly getting in to a routine. We are out the door most mornings by 8.10. Not bad.

By Wednesday, I was so happy to see Josh. It felt I hadn't seen him in a long time. Within an hour, he smiled.

Thursday we attended a group hydrotherapy session with other kids with various disabilities. It was so good to see smiles on faces. We sang songs, and did movements relating to the words, and even used sign language. Josh was definitely more awake, especially by the end (which was noted also by other people there). We "qualify" to attend a weekly session (there would be no point going if Josh was asleep throughout the whole thing like he was last time), so each Thursday morning, Josh and I will attend. The physiotherapist had warned me that afterward my legs would feel heavy and she was right! They were like jelly! I was sooooo happy though. It was like I had a rush of happy endorphins go through me, which lasted hours. Thursday will be the swimming day then, because in the afternoons, Kane has his lesson.

Kane also received a Citizenship award at school. So proud of him.

Josh has smiled a few times a day during his time with me, and that's so good to see.

Have had a couple of friends drop by, and relatives, who are all just amazing supportive people. We are so thankful to have them in our lives.

On Saturday, I dropped the kids back to their dad, and immediately felt down. Not a good feeling. I cranked the music up in car and sang along to help pick me up...

On my days without the kids though, I have still been super busy; mowing the lawn for the first time in my life, putting furniture back together or from scratch (from flat packs). Feeling very capable, except for when it comes to tuning the TV. Haven't figured that out yet, and we haven't watched anything since we moved in.

I took myself off to the movies on Saturday night and saw The Ugly Truth. Very funny, and enjoyed immensely.


Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think you are doing a fantastic job. It takes a heck of a lot of courage to leave your partner and start fresh, even more so when there is 5 children and 1 with a disability. This is your blog, so you write whatever you want! You are more than "just a mum with a disabled child" you are a mum with 5 kids and a life, and a woman with stuff to talk about! I wish you well in your new home and hope that you all find some happiness, Leanne

Anonymous said...

Yeah , Wendy write what you like..its your blog !! Could not agree more with the previous "anon commenter"............

Anonymous said...

Wendy I also agree with the two previous comments!
You write whatever you want & ignore those who criticise. . easier saId than done I know!
If people/person doesn't like what you write than they don't have to read it!
I don't know you but have followed your blog & I think your doing the best you can from the sounds of it!
Keep strong DO what you need to!

Copyright 2009 Joshua